It is estimated as many as 50% of men and women will in their lifetime stare with alarm as their hair swirls downward toward the shower drain. No getting around it, thinning hair sucks and many of us will do almost anything to prevent further hair loss or to re-grow hair. What many may not know is that thinning hair is very often indicative of other health disorders and that once you reverse the underlying disorder, the hair loss will reverse as well. Furthermore, it is true baldness in a young male is a genetically inherited trait, but that does not mean there is nothing that can be can done to influence hair thickness. The influencing and reprogramming our genetics by lifestyle and environment is now considered a hard science called epigenetic or epigenome expression. The nuts and bolts of this science has demonstrated that genes of your DNA can be turned on and off. The fixed sequence of the genotype remains unchanged. However this study bridges the genotype and phenotype (set of observable characteristics of an individual resulting from interaction of the genotype with the environment). In short any one of us can over come a unique family history form alzheimers to baldness to cancer. People do not have to be victims of there own DNA but rather more like architects.
In biology, and specifically genetics, epigenetics is the study of heritable changes in gene expression or cellular phenotype caused by mechanisms other than changes in the underlying DNA sequence – hence the name epi- (Greek: επί- over, above, outer) -genetics. It refers to functionally relevant modifications to the genome that do not involve a change in the nucleotide sequence. Examples of such changes are DNA methylation and histone modification, both of which serve to regulate gene expression without altering the underlying DNA sequence.
Hair Loss Cause
- Hair is made up of protein, so a protein deficiency may lead to hair loss. Protein deficiency can also lead to brittle hair thats breaks before it reaches its maximum growth. Most Americans take in adequate protein so a deficiency is likely a result from poor absorption. Malabsorption of nutrients is caused by various factors such as lack of good bacteria in the gut, use of antacids, OTCs and prescriptions.
- Hair loss can be caused by a wide variety of other nutritional and medical issues. Hormone problems can cause hair loss, along with anemia, depression and stress. The stress of losing your hair may compound the hair loss, as well as deficiencies in numerous vitamins such as vitamin E, D or A and a mineral called silica.
- Hair loss is triggered by over styling, (heating and coloring), use of antibiotics and steroids. Ironically, some prescription hair loss products will cause hair loss.
- Aging slows hair growth, but adequate nutrition can contribute to maintaining healthy hair.
Herbs that Reverse Hair Loss
- Fo-Ti, also known as He Shou Wu. This is one of the best natural hair restoration herbal remedies. This herb has shown efficacy for hundreds of years in not only helping with hair restoration but also builds the blood and reversing the process of aging throughout the body.
- Horsetail and Betonite Clay. Silica is the main hair-supportive compound in these herbs. Silica helps form the collagen in skin and bones, and also strengthens hair. It keeps hair looking smooth and shiny. The potassium, manganese and selenium rich in these herbs also promotes hair growth.
- Ginseng Stimulates Hair Growth. Ginseng is another herb long used in Chinese medicine for hair restoration. The herb is an adaptogen, helping the body adapt to stress, which is known to be a cause of hair loss.
- Dong Quai, also known as an Angelica- Restores Hormonal Balance and Grows Hair. The active ingredient is an herbal form of a testosterone stimulant, called a phytotestosterone. Phytotestosterone are plant hormones that mimic and amplify balance of our own reproductive hormones. Fenugreek is a plant steroid that I routinely use.
About three years, I noticed my hair part appeared bald, at the very least, sparse. This was also the same time I chose to begin a dramatic lifestyle change that would promote my optimal health. Not only did I significantly change my diet, I used all the herbs mentioned above. Knowing that I am always reprogramming my own DNA is a fantastic motivator to keep me working on healthy living even if it is a bit more inconvenient. I personally saw my hair thickness increase in a matter of six months. Everyday I continue to positively impact my DNA, so that not only do I prevent hair loss, I also stave off diseases, including diseases such as alzheimers that I know to have a genetic marker for.
I know Epigenetics as a hard science, that removes the quackery from promoting natural health as we age. It is my ammunition and defense against hostile naysayers-an inexhaustible group.